Blimey what a crazy few days. This week I have felt so un-sparkly and un-Christmassy, which is unusual as I am one of those annoying people that gets excited for Christmas mid-October! Three close friends of mine have each lost very dear loved ones in the past week, and then the awful news of the children and teachers who lost their lives in the shootings in America. After all this bad news and the stress of ‘deadline week’ at Uni with far too many things to hand in, I was well and truly ready to come home for Christmas.
So, to cheer myself up, I’ve spent the day in FULL ON Christmas mode – Christmas leggings, festive knitwear, gingerbread hot chocolate and finally putting up our Christmas decorations at home (Mum didn’t want to do it without me as she knows how much I love it haha)!
I also had a mental list of things I wanted to do this Christmas, but just thought I would blog about them.
|Image from here|
So here we go :)
1. See family/friends. With all the terrible news I’ve been hearing lately family and friends are even more important right now. I have a pretty big family on my Dad’s side, all my cousins are a lot older than me and most are married with children of their own, so the family just keeps growing! I hope I can see as many of them as possible, particularly one cousin who has four beautiful children, one of which is my Godaughter. Even though I’m the youngest cousin and she is the eldest (21 years between us!), she’s more like the sister I never had!
2. Have a proper Christmas day. For the first time in about 5 years my brother won’t be working on Christmas day! So I’m hoping we can have a proper Christmas day like we did when we were young - croissant, salmon and champagne breakfast, long country walk to work up an appetite, wonderful but enormous Christmas lunch, presents, and a great supper watching festive movies and a few board games thrown in!
Our Christmas decorations so far!
3. Do something creative. Whether it will be baking something in the kitchen, something to decorate the house with or some snazzy present wrapping, I’d like to do some DIY festive fanciness! Something I definitely want to try is a clever festive manicure.
4. Go for a walk with my Dad and collect some holly, mistletoe and pine cones for decorations. This is just a little something we do every year that I hope we will have time to do again this year.
|Oooh snowy berries! A picture i took last Christmas|
5. Watch festive films! I’ve ticked Elf, Fred Claus and Miracle on 34th Street off the list so far, but there’s plenty more to get through! Home Alone, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and Harry Potter are on my list, as well as The Snowman on Christmas Eve. I know Narnia films and Harry Potter aren’t strictly festive, but they make me feel Christmassy which will do me just fine :)
6. Take a drive with my mum to see all the Christmas lights. Every year we take a very long detour home, through the town and the villages near us to see all the lights. We Ooooh at the spectacular ones, Aaaah at the pretty and tasteful ones and giggle at the downright tacky!
7. Win a small fortune at the races... Ok I’m not expecting to win, mainly as I’m a student and have no money to bet with! We’ve been going to the Boxing Day Races as long as I can remember, and I absolutely love it. I always place a ‘mental’ bet and it gets so intense as the horses come galloping down the last straight, I love the atmosphere! What with the mulled wine, cider and hog roast baps, I can’t wait - plus Mike’s never been and I know he’s going to love it.
8. Make the most of the snow …providing it snows! At the moment it’s looking more like a wet Christmas than a white Christmas. I LOVE the snow! We hope for it all Christmas then moan when it comes, but uh-uh, not me. Expect many snowmen, snow angels, sledging and general snowflake fun.
|Image from here|
Sorry this has been such a rambling post, felt like I needed it to get into Christmas! I have loads more things I want to do over the festive period, maybe I will incorporate them into other posts otherwise this one will literally go on forever!
I’m off to a spa tomorrow with my best friend which I am very excited about – I went there with Mum back in summer and the facial was just exquisite! And finally seeing my bestest girls in the evening for a catch up and a meal at a lovely country pub nearby – things are looking up :)
I promise to blog more now I’m home with more time! I have a Primark haul coming up (I FREAKIN’ LOVE PRIMARK!) and some swatches from my mini mani month from Ciaté still to do – no more rambly posts for a while!
Anyway, speak soon!x